Playing with Sin
Why are Christian marriages and families having so much trouble?
Why so much unhappiness?
Why so many difficulties?
Why so many problems?
Why so much pain?
Why so many unbelieving children?
Why so many disappointments?
Ignore my warnings today at your peril.
2. Lot’s life and family was a disaster. He had the opportunities of Abraham, but he ended up in a cave staring off into space grieving and vexed severely with his complete failure. His wife was a pillar of salt, three daughters and their husbands rejected his warning and died under God’s judgment, two daughters used him for incest, and he lost absolutely everything (Genesis 19).
3. Carnal Christianity is our greatest enemy and a great peril for our families (II Timothy 3:1-5).
4. Observe each other’s conversations and you will hear some never have a spiritual thought.
5. When we are too holy, then I will preach on the profit of a little sin to keep us balanced.
6. We must be transformed rather than conformed – we must be different (Rom 12:1-2; I Pet 4:1-5).
7. We are to mortify – put to death – the flesh and its individual lusts (Colossians 3:5-7; Rom 8:13).
8. God’s promises for separating from the world should lead us to perfection (II Cor 7:1; 6:14-18).
9. Playing with sin breaks down inhibitions against evil and dulls zeal for Christ. It hardens hearts and consciences into a cold, uninterested spirit toward spiritual things (I Tim 4:2; Heb 3:12-13).
10. Sin lies and deceives us into thinking it brings happiness, fulfillment, purpose, and profit.
11. Jesus Christ is Lord of all! What is He Lord of in your life? Is He Lord of all? Or just Sundays?
12. We are to be unspotted from the world and not touch the unclean thing (James 1:27).
13. The Reformed Churches identify their opposition to and from the world as The Antithesis.
14. We are to be as distinct from this world as Israel was from the Canaanites of old.
15. The fear of being too extreme is the most ridiculous excuse for carnal living.
16. A holy life is: praying, reading, meditation, singing, speaking, fellowship, seeking God, etc.
17. A carnal life is: working, playing, sleeping, eating, resting, believing the truth, attending, etc.
18. We must fight hard to be spiritually minded rather than worldly minded with everyone else.
19. We are warned by the Saviour that an increase in iniquity will cause cold hearts (Matt 24:12).
20. Sin, small sins, even sins hidden from everyone else, give place to Satan (Eph 4:27; I Pet 5:8).
21. You cannot love God and this world – they are opposites (I John 2:15-17; James 4:4; Matt 6:24).
22. We are in a losing battle for our souls without Jesus Christ (Gal 5:17; I Peter 2:11; Rom 7:25).
23. Losing focus and chasing the world with others is turning to follow Satan (I Timothy 5:11-16).
24. The flesh and spirit are opposites – the new man is opposite the old man (John 3:6; Romans 8:8).
25. We have a need and duty – TODAY – to exhort and help each other (Heb 3:12-13; 10:23-25).
26. We are strangers and pilgrims, or we are children of wrath going down (Heb 11:13; Matt 7:13).
27. Evil communications – from any source – corrupt good manners (I Cor 15:33; Proverbs 13:20).
28. God’s chastening is not joyous but rather grievous, so avoid it at all costs (Hebrews 12:11).
29. If you simply “relax and go with the flow of life,” you will default by nature to sinful living.
30. When you play around with worldly things, you quench and grieve the Spirit of God (Eph 4:30).
31. Sin is not content with a limited role; it must grow like cancer or yeast (II Tim 2:17; Gal 5:9).
32. We are to avoid even the opportunities for sin in our lives (Romans 13:14).
33. Examine your life and those for whom you are responsible (Hag 1:5; I Cor 11:28; II Cor 13:5).
34. We cannot worry with foolish thoughts of being too extreme (Matt 5:29). Ridiculous!
35. Anything short of a prayerful, spiritual, Christ-loving, and sin-hating attitude is living carnally.
36. Each day we make many little choices about prayer, reading, devotions, television, music, etc.
37. Jesus Christ does not accept anything less than first love or hot love and service (Rev 2:4; 3:16).
38. You have three enemies constantly warring against your soul to draw you to the world – Satan, the world, and your deceitful and desperately wicked heart.
39. Souls are lean (Ps 106:15), prayers are hindered (I Pet 3:7), evangelism has no power (I Pet 3:15), there is no victory (I John 2:13), and then some are weak, sick, and dead (I Cor 11:30).
40. Set your affection on things above (Col 3:2). Exercise yourself in godliness (I Tim 4:7-11). Remember, repent, and do the first works (Rev 2:5). Cut of all opportunities for sin (Rom 13:14). Choose the righteous acts of saints to fill your life rather than any other pursuit.